Do you love bird watching? Are you curious about how to become a bird watcher and don’t know how and where to start? Do you have a kid that is interested in birds and wants to know more about birds? Then you have come to the right place as this article will give you tips to get started.
Birding is one of many hobbies that will actually draw you closer to nature. Studying and watching birds is enlightening and educational, and it really makes you see what’s going on in your local ecosystem. However, some people find bird watching a bit intimidating.
They feel they actually need an intense knowledge of ornithology to truly call themselves birders, or that they have to become an extreme naturalist to be good at the hobby. Fortunately, you don’t need to be all of that to call yourself a birder, birders come from all walks of life, in all sizes and shapes.
Some birders take bird watching very seriously and spend so much time on it, while others just enjoy bird watching from the comfort of their windows, porches, or decks. The only thing that is required in bird watching is your interest.
In this article, you will find all you need to know about bird watching, how to start bird watching, the bird watching equipment you need, bird watcher supply, and many more.
As a novice when it comes to bird watching, you might be wondering how you are supposed to track down different kinds of birds and how to become a bird watcher. These pretty feathered friends hover all over the place, and finding one species in the prodigious wide world of marshes, fields, woodlands, streams, and lakes seems a bit impossible. So how do you find where to watch birds, where to start, and how to start?
Since bird watching is a hobby and not a do or die affair, you will definitely want to start it off in a positive, fun, and exciting way, and there is a very easy way of achieving this and getting things started. Rather than going out to look for birds, make the little feathered friends come to you, and you can achieve this by putting up a bird feeder at your backyard or garden.
With this, you will be able to watch backyard birds. Backyard birding is awesome, and as a beginner, it is a great option for you to start with. An affordable bird feeder filled with a good mix of smaller seeds, sunflower seeds, fruit bits, and nuts will attract a lot of birds to your backyard or garden.
A lot of birds feed on seeds, even the ones that spend most of their time looking for insects and other sources of food. Once these little, pretty friends in the neighborhood notice that your backyard is a place to have a nice meal, you will get to see more of them coming around, then the worry of “where to watch birds” will be over.
Guide to Bird Watching, Bird Watching Equipment, and Other Things to Attract Birds to Your Backyard
Optics for Birding
After finding or successfully attracting birds to your backyard, you actually need an equipment to watch them closely. With this equipment, you will be able to get almost every detail about a bird from a far distance, as you don’t need to get closer to the bird to get a close view.
- Binoculars: This is one tool that is very important when it comes to bird watching. It is an equipment bird lovers don’t joke with, and as a beginner, we recommend you find yourself the best binoculars for bird watching. With this equipment, watching your pretty feathered friends from a distance wouldn’t be a problem. You can even have a closer view of the birds in your backyard right from your windows.
- How to Choose Binoculars: Binocular come in different shapes and sizes. They also have different functionality and uses. To help you find the best binoculars for bird watching, we have done our findings and come up with an article about “how to choose Binoculars.”
- Best Spotting Scope for Bird Watching Reviews: Here are some of the best spotting scope for bird watching. We have done our research already to bring the best of them together so you don’t have to spend much of your time looking for a suitable bird spotting scope. We’ve listed them ranging from their features to their prices.
Heated Bird Bath
This is another great way of attracting birds to your backyard. Some birds might not be attracted to your bird feeders, but they cannot resist a bird bath, especially heated bird baths during winter. During winter, birds usually look for liquid water to bath and to drink.
By placing a heated bird bath in your backyard, you will be providing these little friends a clean and fresh source of water constantly, and this will attract more birds to your backyard, increasing your chances of watching backyard birds and having an awesome nature watch.
Birds cannot do without water, and during winter, all their normal sources of water are frozen or covered up with snow. With a heated bird bath, the birds will always have liquid water at a suitable temperature, and the water will never freeze or get cold irrespective of how cold the weather is.
- Best Heated Bird Bath: To help you find the best heated bird bath for your backyard birds, we have put together some of the best heated bird baths out there as well as the review of each of them. Take a look at our picks to know which will best suit your backyard.
- Best Solar Bird Bath Fountain: There are also some heated bird baths that are powered by solar. This means they generate their own power which they use to keep the water warm. There are lots of them out there, and we have also done our research to help you find the best solar bird bath fountain that will suit your budget as well as your backyard space.
Bird Feeding and Bird Feeders
While watching birds in your backyard and enjoying the entertaining view, you need to provide them with constant food source in order to keep them coming back. You need to know what to feed birds, the kind of feeder they need and what to put in their feeder. Squirrels are also a common issue when watching birds in your backyard, as they tend to scare birds away from their feeders and consume the bird food in the feeder.
- What to Feed a Baby Bird: Knowing what to feed a baby bird when you find one at your backyard is very important, this is why we have put together an article on “what to feed a baby bird.” This will help you take care of a baby bird and know what to feed it.
- What to put in a Humming Bird Feeder: If you have humming birds in your backyard, you need to know what to put in their feeder so they will keep coming back. Having humming birds all over your backyard is indeed a great sight to behold, and you can achieve this by knowing what to put in their feeders. We have also put together some tips for attracting birds.
- Best Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder: To maintain the presence of your little feathered friends in your backyard and to save their feed from being consumed by squirrels, you need the best squirrel proof bird feeders. We have listed the best squirrel proof bird feeders for you, ranging from their features to what they are made of to their pocket-friendliness.
- Best Squirrel Stopper Bird Feeder Pole: We have also put together a list of the best squirrel stopper bird feeder pole for you. These poles are designed to hold your bird feeders up away from the ground and out of the reach of squirrels. With this, squirrels cannot reach your bird feeders.
- How to Keep Squirrels out of Bird Feeders: There are also a couple of very useful tips to help you keep squirrels away from your bird feeder, and we have put those tips together for you. These tips will help you position your bird feeder in a location where it cannot be reached by squirrels.
This is another great way of bird watching – having your little friend in a cage. If you buy a little bird or you find a bird abandoned by its parents, a bird cage is a great option when looking for where to keep the bird. This way, you will be able to have a close watch of the bird, as you will have it right in your home.
- Best Bird Cage: There are lots of bird cages out there, and we have put together the best bird cages for your pretty, little friend. With a bird cage, you will be able to move your bird wherever you want or even take it out for a walk.
Bird watching is a fun and exciting hobby, and as a beginner, knowing how to start bird watching can sometimes be tricky. But with the tips and information provided in this article, you are good to go, as you will not only be able to watch your favorite birds, but you will be able to attract them to your backyard.